It's time for the November Payara Monthly Catch! Our monthly news roundup ensures you get the best news of Java, Jakarta EE, MicroProfile, and open source.
Let's have a look at the most interesting and important news from last month.
News from Payara
In November, we launched Payara Starter, our new code scaffolding tool, designed to streamline and simplify the initial setup process. Payara Starter helps developers like you kickstart your Jakarta EE projects with ease, whether you prefer Maven or Gradle build systems - read more here!
Payara Virtual Conference - Empowering Enterprise Innovation with Jakarta EE is only a few days away - register here for this free event coming on the 14th of December.
Join us to gain unique insight into Jakarta EE from the best in the business. We have designed the programme to cater to all levels of Jakarta EE knowledge - learn as a leader! The day-long program is focused on educating Java professionals and business leaders about the power and potential of Jakarta EE. The conference is fully virtual, so you can join from anywhere in the world. You can also pick and choose which sessions to join, and all those who registered will be able to access recordings to watch at their leisure.Read on for the full Conference schedule... and don’t forget to register! We will be also sending sessions on demand to all who express interest.
You can still watch our most recent Webinar: From IDE To the Cloud - Easy Jakarta EE Deployments With Payara Cloud. Whether you are a developer looking to streamline your deployment processes, or an operations engineer aiming to ensure consistent and reliable application deployments, this webinar will equip you with the knowledge and skills to set up a robust deployment pipeline for your Jakarta EE applications. Register now to reserve your spot, and take a step towards optimized, automated, and hassle-free Jakarta EE cloud deployments! Webinar Registration - Zoom
Listen to the new Payara Podcast episode 'Transitioning to Java with Ken Fogel'on Spotify or on YouTube .Amongst many other achievements, Ken is a Java Champion, and a Java Community Process Executive Committee member. He is an active conference organizer, very prominent in the Java, Java EE and Jakarta EE community. So there’s no wonder why we had to invite him to our podcast! In this episode, we mainly talk about his book ‘Transitioning to Java’ that he published not long ago. We talked about where the idea for the book came from, who the book is aimed at, Ken’s research process and general approach to not only writing the book but also sharing his knowledge and experience with others, especially in the context of formal college and university education around computer science and how modern Java skills fit into that.
Conferences and Events
JakartaOne Livestream is coming on Tuesday, Dec 5th! 🎁✨ Join us at this virtual conference for insights into Jakarta EE, Cloud Native, Microservices, and the future of Java.
Luqman Saeed - Payara Tech Writer and Jakarta EE Expert - will speak about continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) for Jakarta EE applications. Details ➡️ https://jakartaone.org/2023/
Join Michael Redlich on December 13th to learn about Jakarta EE 11 at the Jakarta EE TechTalk - register here: https://www.crowdcast.io/c/jakartatechtalk-dec132023?hss_channel=tw-939323243076259842
Must- Read Articles
- Simplifying Persistence Integration with Jakarta EE Data (infoq.com) by Otavio Santana.
- Michael Redlich, Payara Dev Rel and InfoQ Editor brings Java Trends Report - November 2023. Listen also his Podcast! InfoQ Java Trends Report 2023 - Discussing Insights with Mike Redlich Topics include the release of Java 21, Java virtual threads, JakartaEE and Spring projects, and the development of community and ecosystems projects.
- The State of the Developer Java Ecosystem in 2023. The JetBrains team collects and makes insights into the latest Java Ecosystem trends. Java 8 is not ready to say goodbye just yet.
- Building Future-Proof Jakarta EE Applications - On-Premise and In The Clouds by Adam Bien
- Jakarta EE 10 offers various new features and improvements, such as Jakarta Faces 4.0 and Jakarta EL 5.0. Explore these enhancements for your enterprise Java projects. Check out the new JakartaEE Datasheet to find out more.
- Take a look at OpenJDK's newest big project to improve Java - Babylon. It is specifically aimed at easing execution of Java code on the GPU, which will unlock machine learning and artificial intelligence applications on the JVM. Great video by Nicolai Parlog.
- Loom is just HyperThreading in Java? Johannes Bechberger had an epiphany: Aren't virtual threads with Loom just a version of HyperThreading on the JVM? He explores for Foojay here.
- Java Concurrency Unlocked: A Comparative Guide to Synchronization Tools. In this blog post, Bazlur Rahman discusses different lock mechanisms in Java for managing concurrency.
- How to Develop like a Senior Software Engineer. Alfredo Deza teaches you the key principles of a senior-level software engineering, taking a real-world repository & bringing it to the next level.
Payara Guides and Blog Posts
- Our most recent guide - Automated Jakarta EE Cloud Deployments With GitHub Actions and Payara Cloud - shows you how you can use GitHub Actions to create a direct deployment pipeline to Payara Cloud (sign up for free trial here) for your GitHub hosted Jakarta EE applications. See how you can integrate deploying to Payara Cloud from your local machine using the Maven Exec plugin. By the end of reading this guide, you should be able to have a direct deployment pipeline to Payara Cloud for your Jakarta EE applications.
- Download the Guide - Upgrading from Payara Enterprise 5 to Payara Enterprise 6 with the Payara Server Upgrade Tool!
Fully managed Jakarta EE Cloud Deployment. ✅Handles Kubernetes for you.✅ 15 day free trial available.✅